Stop navigating from one website to another, and read ALL the information you need before you leave home.
Getting cheap air flights to Spain is very easy, especially if you know what you are looking for.
Did you know that more than 57 million people visit Spain every year? A study by the United Nations World Tourism Organization reveals that Spain is the 3rd most popular destination in the world after France (1st) and the US (2nd).
In fact, 3 Spanish airports (Madrid, Barcelona and Palma de Mallorca) are among the 25 busiest airports in Europe. As a result, many airlines including low cost carriers have entered the Spanish airline market offering incredibly low airfares.
Because most of us search and purchase tickets online, the number of sites that offer plane tickets is growing every day. There are dozens of websites that you can use to get very cheap international flights. To save time and money, use the ones that I recommend.
1. Fly early and/or late. No one wants to get up early even if it’s for going on holiday, nor arrive home in the middle of the night. Nevertheless, the price of your flight will be considerably lower if you don’t mind taking off at 6.30am or arriving late to your final destination. These cheaper flights are called ‘red-eye’ flights.
2. Fly on weekdays including a weekend. Airlines set their fares according to your profile. If you fly on weekdays you are a business client. If you fly on weekends you are on holiday. Both choices will end up in high rates. But if you can afford to fly, let’s say, on Wednesday and come back the next Thursday your fare will be much lower.
3. Fly during the low season. High season depends on local holidays and weather. Try to avoid these busy dates as much as possible. You will avoid exorbitant prices and crowded places. For instance, why not fly on Christmas, New Year’s or Thanksgiving Day?
4. Book way ahead or very late. Sometimes airlines offer special fares for early buyers or last minute deals if certain routes remain empty and the flights may not be profitable.
5. Fly to other airports that are close by. Low cost carriers generally operate in smaller airports to save money. Big airports usually charge very high fees to the airlines to let them use the facilities. These are airports reasonably close to your final destination.
6. Use several airlines on longer routes. Are you flying from another continent? Look for a transoceanic flight to an important hub (e.g. London, Frankfurt). From there search for a route with a low cost carrier or a national airline. In general, booking sites will give you the cheapest combination between two destinations. It is not always the fastest option but it may be the cheapest.
7. Use a loyalty program. Have you heard of travel hackers? These people know loyalty rewards systems well enough to gain hundreds of thousands of miles per year without traveling. Actually, it is not that complicated. You can learn how to become a frequent flyer master following some simple steps.
8. Compare, keep looking and search once more! There are other tricks such as checking the airline’s foreign website to see if the price is cheaper in another currency. Depending on your currency, you might be able to take advantage of the exchange rate. You can also check what airlines operate in the airport you want to land at. Sometimes small carriers are not listed on flight search engines.
Be patient and do your research thoroughly. Hard work is always rewarded.
More than 30 low cost carriers travel to and from Spain. Which Airline is the best low cost flights search engine. If you want to know who operates an exact route, all you have to do is type both the origin and the destination.
However, there are two more interesting options. To find out what airlines operate from a particular airport, type the origin and leave the destination blank. The opposite is valid to know what airlines land at a certain airport/city.
In any case, the results will show you both low cost flights and traditional airlines. So it will be easy for you to find cheap air flights to Spain knowing these airlines.